Heavy rain, gale-force winds and king tides are affecting much of New Zealand today. Both North Island and South Island destinations are affected by wild weather conditions including Auckland (and other areas on the top of the North Island), Wellington, Nelson, Dunedin and the Greymouth and Buller regions of the South Island. Passengers should be prepared for flight disruptions at airports in Christchurch, Dunedin, Auckland, Wellington, Hawke's Bay, Nelson, Queenstown and Palmerston.
- Auckland (along with other areas in the top of the North Island) is under a severe thunderstorm watch with high seas and king tides causing flooding along with heavy rain. At this time, international flights are operating, however some domestic services into and out of Auckland (AKL) have been cancelled.
- Wellington is experiencing wind gusts of up to 140km per hour. A number of Air New Zealand and Sounds Air flights have been cancelled or delayed at Wellington Airport (WLG).
- Nelson is experiencing widespread flooding with many roads closed and people evacuated from their homes. A state of emergency is being considered. Some Air New Zealand flights have been cancelled into Nelson Airport (NSN).
- Dunedin has declared a local state of emergency due to severe flooding. Some flights to and from Wellington and Dunedin Airport (DUD) have been cancelled.
- Flooding and gale force winds on the west coast of the South Island around has closed schools and businesses in the Greymouth area. A state of emergency has been declared in the Buller region.
Passengers affected by flooding are advised to check directly with their airline about the status of their flights and allow plenty of time to get to and from the airport.
More Like This
New Airport Lounges To Experience In 2018
A new year brings a new year of flying, and thankfully, 2017 saw a long list of impressive airport lounges added to the global suite of long-haul creature comforts – some, a destination in their own right. Be sure to try these brand new airport lounges in 2018.
Travel News: Bali Travel Alert Now At Highest Level After Further Eruptions From Mt Agung Volcano
**UPDATE 4/12/2017** 11am
The situation in Bali continues to change. Here is the latest update:
Bali is experiencing mostly clear skies today and flights in and out of Denpasar have resumed.
Travel Alert: Flight Disruptions at Auckland Airport
Thousands of passengers at Auckland Airport have been affected by the temporary shut-down of a fuel pipe from a Northland refinery, and those scheduled to fly in or out of Auckland Airport should be aware of possible flight disruptions and potential flight cancellations.